Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Planet Detective

 Kia Ora fellow readers and welcome back to another blog post. For today's blog post I will be talking about what we have been doing for science. So for this lesson of science we have to answer questions about the atmosphere on different planets. These questions are on our hurumanu site on a slideshow.

Two of the reasons mercury lost most of its atmosphere is because the closer to the sun the hotter the atmosphere and the molecules are moving faster and so can reach escape velocity and the other reason is because of the lack of gravity.

The distance between the Sun and Mercury is 57.712 km and the distance between the Sun and Earth is 151.22 km as you can see there is a lot of difference. Earths mass is 6 with 24 0's kg and Mercury's mass is 3 with 23 0's kg. As you can see there is a lot of difference between each planet's things.

Not having an atmosphere affects the temperature on Mercury because without an atmosphere to keep a warm temperature at night temperatures can go as low as -290°F. 

The name Mercury came from the Romans who believed that gods and goddesses were in charge of everything on Earth. Mercury is named after the messenger for their gods. Whereas Whiro is the lord of darkness and embodiment of all evil in Māori mythology. Other names for Mercury are Nebu and Hermes these names were given by the ancient Greeks. 

Planet Mercury: Facts About the Planet Closest to the Sun | Space

I hope you enjoyed my blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.