Pages

Thursday 16 September 2021

Eyeball Dissection : Recount and Reflection

 Hello fellow readers and welcome back to another blog post. Today I will be sharing with you what we did yesterday in physics. 

Recently we have been learning about different parts of the eye. Here are some of the parts we learned about. 

Cornea ~ The protective outer layer of the eye.

Pupil ~ The pupil is where the light enters the eye.

Iris ~ Controls how much light enters.

Lens ~ Focuses light onto the retina. 

Retina ~ Converts light to electrical impulses. 

Optic nerve ~ Carries the impulses to the brain. 

Humorous ~ The liquid in the eye that gives it its shape. 

Steps

~ To start off the dissection we got given a cow's eye and a scalpel, tweezers, and scissors, and a metal container. We put on gloves and rolled up our sleeves. 

~ The next thing we did was cut off the excess muscle and fat. 

~ We stabbed the cornea with the scalpel and cut around it with scissors, the humorous leaked out of the eye. 

~ After that we were then able to see the lens and a gel-like substance surrounding the lens.

~ One of the people that were in my group flipped the eye inside out revealing the tapetum which helps them to see at night. 


Personally, I did not enjoy dissecting the cow's eye but both of my other teammates Nici and Hayley both enjoyed doing the dissection. The only reason did not enjoy doing it was because it was slimy and I didn't want the humorous to go everywhere. 

Here is a photo of the eye being dissected. 







1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelby,
    Great work, you explained the parts of the eye well. I really enjoyed reading your recount, and even though it may have been a bit gross it clear to me that you learned and researched some of the things you saw (like the shiny blue tapetum lucidum) :)

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.