Pages

Tuesday 3 March 2020

Early Encounters In Aotearoa

For Who are we ? hurumanu we have been learning about New Zealand's history this is what I have learnt so far.

The first European explorer to arrive in Aotearoa was Abel Tasman he arrived in 1642 he named the land Nova Zealandia this was the first running into with Māori and it did not go well. The next European that arrived in Aotearoa was James Cook. he arrived in 1769 the chief navigator's name was Tupai. The Europeans brought pigs, potatoes, rats and diseases. The Māori and Australians exchanged things to get more valuable and necessary items and also they got not so necessary items one of them being muskets [Guns] and alcohol. 

There ended up being a war called the musket wars some people wanted to name it potato wars as it was also about potatoes as the Māori needed potatoes because it gave the warriors more nutrients and also they could travel for longer with out running out of food. These wars ended up ending in the 1830's. 




1 comment:

  1. You have recalled lots of great facts about the early people in Aotearoa Shelby. I like the way that you have added extra information about how some people thought that the musket wars should be renamed the potato wars! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.