Pages

Thursday 18 March 2021

Heart Dissection

Kia Ora fellow readers and welcome back to another blog post. For today's blog post I will be sharing with you what I did in Biology. So in Biology, we were to get into groups of three or get into pairs. In my group, we had Tasharn, Nici, and me. The aim of this activity was to educate ourselves on how a heart works. We are doing this because it is important to know how things like this work. 

We started off by getting newspaper and putting it over the tables so no juices would get onto the table. We then got given a scalpel, scissors, tweezers, and a metal tray. Our teacher Miss Abernethy gave each group a sheep heart. The first thing that I noticed about the heart was that there was fat around it this was to protect it. We put gloves on and each chose a tool to use, but within the lesson did switch a few times. We first cut the left side and then the right and then inspected and looked at what was inside. We then cut the septum ( the part that separates the left from the right side ). After we had done that we ended up cutting the heart completely in half. For each step of cutting the heart, we felt around to see what each part would feel like and we would look at it and see the different parts of the heart that our teacher had recently been talking about. 

Something that I learned was the different parts of the heart for example the septum which separates the left from the right side. Another part of the heart is the right and left side ventricle. The right ventricle pumps the oxygen through the pulmonary artery, and the left ventricle pumps the oxygen through the aortic valve out to the rest of the body. 

I personally enjoyed doing the dissection because it was easier to remember which each part of the heart does what by seeing it. 

This image shows the heart when it had completely been cut in half. This shows inside of the heart. 



This image also shows the heart completely in half but from the top side.









No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.