Pages

Tuesday 11 February 2020

Who are we Hurumanu

Hello fellow readers and welcome to another blog post. Today we will be talking about Maori history. Today in class we were learning about Maori history. 

Maori originated from Hawaiki and they came to New Zealand in Waka and fought Moriori taking over the land. The Maori brought with them Dogs, Rats, Crops, Kumara and Taro. 

The South Island was too cold to grow crops so most Maori moved to North Island. They got most of there food from the sea. Scientists have recently discovered that Moriori and Maori share the same D.N.A.

The Moa became extinct because of the rats and the dogs eating their eggs and the Maori people hunting them. The Maori grouped themselves and created different tribes. 

The leaders, chiefs, lords, kings were called rangitira. They looked after the people and protected the land.




1 comment:

  1. Well done Shelby, this is a great summary of the Maori settling in Aotearoa. Ka pai on remembering that the Maori lived in tribes. These tribes had arrived on the same waka. I hope you continue to learn heaps about the history of Aotearoa.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.